Hosea 6:7 and Mt 9:13; 12:7

From: dd-1@juno.com
Date: Sun Jan 03 1999 - 17:36:52 EST

Dear Greekers, Denny Diehl here

with a question concerning Jesus' quote of Hosea 6:7
recorded in Mt 9:13 and Mt 12:7.

In Hosea 6:7 the comparison reads:

        "ELEOS QELW H QUSIAN"

which Jesus quotes as:

        "ELEOS QELW KAI OU QUSIAN"

1) Does anyone know of a Septuagint text that read
exactly as Jesus quoted?

2) What is the substantive difference in the two, if any
at all? I'm in discussion with a fella who suggests that
Hosea is stating the "mercy is better than sacrifice" but
that Jesus creatively changed it condemning sacrifice
altogether.

I'm familiar with the comparative construction found in
Jn 6:27:

   "ERGAZESQE MH THN BRWSIN THN APOLLUMENHN,
   ALLA THN BRWSIN THN MENOUSAN EIS ZWHN AIWNION."

where Jesus compares working for the food which perishes
and that which endures to eternal life. It is not a condemnation
of working for perishable food, but judging greater importance.
Can the same be said of Mt 9:13 and Mt 12:7?

Another example of OUX ... ALLA is found in 1 Pet 3:3-4.

Are there examples of the same type of comparison as used
by Jesus in Mt 9:13: "I Desire [this] not [that] " not as a
condemnation but as preference one over the other?

Thank you for your help.

Denny