RE: Eternity

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 19 1999 - 14:36:44 EST

<x-rich>At 1:00 PM -0600 3/19/99, Bill Ross wrote:

>{Carl}

>I'm not quite sure what you're saying about the Jude passage above
when you

>say "AIWNIOU 'represents' eternity"; AIWNIOU is an adjective here in

>agreement with PUROS, the whole phrase PUROS AIWNIOU dependent on
DIKHN,

>which is the object of hUPECOUSAI; 'upholding the judgment of
everlasting

>fire."

>{Bill}

>I thought AIWNIOU literally meant "of ages" and only context dictated

>whether or not it was "endless?"

Louw & Nida:

<bold>67.96 AIDIOS,ON; AIWNIOS,ON:</bold> pertaining to an unlimited
duration of time - 'eternal.'13

<bold>67.133 EK TOU AIWNOS, APO TWN AIWNWN, PRO PANTOS TOU AIWNOS; PRO
CRONWN AIWNIWN WN; CRONOIS AIWNIOIS: </bold> an exceedingly long period
of time from an assumed beginning up to the present - 'since all time,
from all ages past, from the beginning of time.'

forum for discussion of pre-millennial, millennial, or post-millennial
eschatological notions. Certainly, I suppose that those who wish can
understand AIWNIOS to refer to duration over a long period of time
rather than forever.
</bigger></fontfamily>

</x-rich>