Re: How to translate EN in Rom 1:24 and Rom 1:27

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 15 1999 - 20:36:50 EDT

At 4:28 PM -0400 6/15/99, Dmitriy Reznik wrote:
>Dear friends,
>
>What do you think, how does the word EN in Rom.1:24 and 1:27 have to be
>translated, as ãinsideä (of the bodies) or as ãamongä (yourself)?

In the first place, it's not "how EN has to be translated" but "what EN
means" that is the question.

>24 DIO KAI PAREDWKEN AUTOUS hO QEOS EN TAIS EPIQUMIAIS TWN KARDIWN AUTWN
>EIS AKAQARSIAN TOU ATIMAZESQAI TA SWNATA AUTWN EN(!) EAUTOIS
>
>27 OMOIWS TE KAI ARSENES AFENTES THS FUSIKHN CRHSIN THS QHLEIAS EXEKAUQHSAN
>EN TH OREXEI AUTON EIS ALLHLOUS ARSENES EN(!) ARSESIN THN ASCHMOSUNHN
>KATERGAZOMENOI KAI THN ANTIMISQIAN HN EDEI THS PLANHS AUTWN EN(!) EAUTOIS
>APOLAMBANONTES

I would understand each instance of EN that you mark with exclamation mark
in these verses as an instrumental-comitative dative and use "with" to
convey the sense into English. Moreover, it wouldn't be "yourselves" but
"themselves" because it's a third-person expression.

I should add that I personally don't think that EN + dative in this context
could mean "inside"--I think that would have to be EIS + accusative or
ENTOS + genitive.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu