Heb 13:17

From: Brian & Tina Perkins (perkinsfam@geocities.com)
Date: Thu Jun 17 1999 - 15:46:16 EDT

Hi Guys & Gals,

I'd like some input on the following please...

PEIQESQE TOIS HGOUMENOIS UMWN KAI UPEIKETE AUTOI GAR AGRUPNOUSIN UPER TWN
YUXWN UMWN WS LOGON APODWSONTES

"Be persuaded by those you acknowledge as more experienced and yield
[listen] to them for they lose sleep over [really care about] you - as if
they will have to give account for your life [actions]."

(Although non-traditional and potentially controversial, it seems to follow
the teachings of Christ much more closely that the popular translations.)

But as for part 'B', although I know they aren't literal, here are the two
meanings that I've come up with. I wanted to see what the consensus is on
these two possible paraphrases:

INA META XAPAS TOUTO POIWSIN KAI MH STENAZONTES ALUSITELES GAR UMIN TOUTO

"Then you will experience joy instead of this self-destructive complaining."
Or:
"Then you will give them joy and not bad feelings toward you."

What do you think the writer was trying to convey in the context of the
entire chapter - indeed the entire book?

Thanks,
Brian