Re: Rev 18:20

From: George Blaisdell (maqhth@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jun 19 1999 - 09:55:33 EDT

<x-flowed>

>From: "Carl W. Conrad"

>Moon-Ryul Jung wrote:

> >Linda asked:

> >The question is about the translation of the "because clause":
> >hOTI EKRINEN hO QEOS TO KRIMA hUMWN EX AUTHS.
> >Literally it says:
> >God judged your judgement from her.
> >
> >Some translated it as
> >God judged your judgement against her.
> >It seems to make sense.
> >So, here we have two questions.
> >(1) Can EX mean AGAINST?
> >(2) What does "KRINW TO KRIMA hUMWN" mean?

>(1) No, EK in this instance must mean (oddly) "with reference to", an
>extraordinary extension of "arising from",

>hOTI EKRINEN hO QEOS TO KRIMA hUMWN EX AUTHS 'because God condemned her
>for
>what she did to you' Re 18:20.
>
>Note that this translation is of the "dynamic equivalence" sort: it is good
>English but there's no way to see in it what Greek text it is derived from
>without having gone through the entire >analysis of the two phrases in
>question (KRINEIN TO KRIMA hUMWN and EX AUTHS).

I am wondering if this may be a formulaic expression of a legal decision, in
virtue of the two genitives following TO KRIMA. In US courts the judge
might say "I find FOR the plaintiff AGAINST [EX] the defendant. This would
have hUMWN EX AUTHS as a unit [of decision, both for and against] modifying
TO KRIMA.

So here: hOTI EKRINEN hO QEOS TO KRIMA hUMWN EX AUTHS would translate
"[rejoice] that God decided the judgement [in favor] of you against [away
from] her."

George Blaisdell
Roslyn, WA