Participle in Matt 17:25

From: Jean-Francois Racine (Jean-Francois_Racine@uqac.uquebec.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 22 1999 - 16:30:22 EDT

B-greekers,

Matt 17:25: LEGEI, NAI. KAI ELQONTA EIS THN OIKIAN PROEFTASEN AUTON O
IHSOUS LEGWN...

As I parsed ELQONTA as an acc. sing. masc. aor2, I wonder why it was at the
accusative case. I thought about an accusative of time or an accusative
absolute, but, so far, I have not found any answer in the grammars I
consulted. Could anyone explain this accusative to me? Anyhow, it is
likely that it gave problems to others if one considers the numerous
variant readings that came up for this participle in the manuscript tradition.

Jean-Francois Racine

Jean-Francois Racine
Departement de sciences religieuses et ethique
Universite du Quebec a Chicoutimi
555, boul. de l'Universite
Chicoutimi, QC
G7H 2B1 CANADA