OCR Greek: Readiris 5

From: Wieland Willker (willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de)
Date: Mon Aug 30 1999 - 10:06:06 EDT

Ocasionally people (incl. me) asked about OCR-ing Greek. Today I have
downloaded "Readiris 5", a 30 days full test-version from:
http://www.irislink.com/UK/index.html

I took my NA26-GNT and scanned a few pages.
I scanned 10 pages with the learning function enabled (here the prog. asks
to enter the letter for an unrecognized character). After this learning
phase I scanned another page and the outcome was as below (Mt 7:7 - 7:20).
This result is not very bad, but also not very good. I also don't know if I
used the program correctly, but there are not very many options.
I think the program is helpful for scanning large amounts of greek text from
one book (with the same font and size). Greek is notoriously difficult to
OCR with all the accents and diacritical signs.
Any other experiences?

Best wishes
    Wieland
      <><
--------------------
mailto:willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de
http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/

7 Aiteite kai doqhsetai umin, Zhteite kai eurhsete, krOUete kai anoighsetai
umin .8 pas gar ? aitwn la~iba-nei kai ? Zhtwn euriskei kai tW kroUOnti
'anoighsetai. 9 h tiS OeStin ex umwn anqrwpos, On 'aithsei ? uios au-toU
artOn, mh liqon epidWSei autW; 10 ( h kai icqun aith-sei), mh Ofin ePidwsei
autW; 11.ei oun umeis POnhroi ontes oidate ( domata agaqa) didonai toiS
teknOiS umwn, POSW mallon ? pathr umwn ? en toiS ouranois dwsei agaqa toiS
aitoUsin auton:.
12 panta ĦoUn Osa ean qelhte ina POiWSin umin oi anqrwpoi, OUtWS kai umeis
poieite autois. outos gar eStin ? nomos kai oi profhtai.
13 ?iselqate dia ths stenhs pulhS ., Oti plateia 'h pulh' kai eurucwros h
Odos h aPagousa eis thn apw-leian kai polloi Ħeisin oi eisercomenoi di'
auths .14 'ti stenh 'h pulh' kai teqlimmenh h Odos h apagousa eis thn Zwhn
kai oligOi eisin oi euriskOntes authn.
15 Prosecete t apo twn yeudoprofhtwn, oitines er-COntai pros umas en
endumasin probatwn, eswqen de eisin lUkOi arpages. 16 apo twn karpwn autwn
epignwsesqe autous. mhti sullegousin apo akanqwn 'stafulas h apo tribolwn
sUka;17 outws pan dendron agaqon kar-
pous 'kalous poiei', to de sapron dendron karPOUS ??-nhrOUS poiei. 18 ou
dunatai dendron agaqon karpous ??-nhrous 'poiein oude dendron sapron karpous
kalous I'poiein. 19 panT dendron mh poioUn karpon kalon ek-kOPtetai kai eis
pur b?lleta1. 20 ara ge a?? twn kar-pwn autwn epignwsesqe autous.