RE: 1 Clem. 1:1

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Mon Sep 27 1999 - 12:16:15 EDT

At 12:01 PM 9/27/99 -0400, you wrote:
> The affinity with the intro to 1
>Peter is obvious and my question is (and I realize that one's dating of
>1 Peter will play a major role in this discussion) who used whom?
>
>Sincerely,
>Mark W. Gibbs

The subject of the direction of borrowing is terribly difficult to pin down-
especially in texts that may be virtually contemporary. But there is
another issue here- and that is the obvious question- "why must there be
borrowing in either direction"? Isnt it possible that the phrase in
question was common as a greeting in the period in question? If, for
instance, I end this note with
"sincerely" have I borrowed that from someone else on list or have I simply
adopted a conventional way of concluding a letter?

So, it seems to me, the first thing to do is to see if the word is used in
other preserved literature from the period. If it is, well and good. If it
isnt, this raises another issue, namely, there may have well been a
conventional usage of this word but it has not been preserved in sufficient
sources to document its use.

Finally, if the use is unique to the documents you have mentioned, and one
did borrow from another, what significance does this show? The question,
"so what" becomes the central issue at this point. So what if Clement
borrow from Peter or Peter borrowed from Clement? Does it change the
meaning of the phrase? Does it aid in interpretation in any way?

I dont have any answers to these questions- I only raise them for your
consideration.

Best,

Jim