Re: Ezek 37.9

From: Joe A. Friberg (JoeFriberg@email.msn.com)
Date: Tue Oct 12 1999 - 05:28:21 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: N & RJ Hanscamp <nar.hanscamp@clear.net.nz>
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 1999 3:48 AM

Nigel wrote:

<<In this fascinating verse (Ezek 37.9), the following appears:
TADE LEGEI KUPIOS

I wonder if someone could enlighten me on the meaning of the TADE.>>

TADE is neut. pl. of hODE, so "these things". I don't know how much
significance the plural carries. Might make for an interesting discourse
study.

<<The verse in full reads

KAI EIPEN PROS ME PROFHTEUSON )UIE ANQRWPOU PROFHTUESON EPI TO PNEUMA KAI
EIPON TWi PNEUMATI TADE LEGIE KUPIOS EK TWN TESSARWN PNEUMATWN ELQE KAI
EMFUSHSON EIS TOUS NEKROUS TOUTOUS KAI ZHSATWSAN

Further, I wonder if the list would agree that PNEUMA is best translated
"wind" in this case. The NRSV uses "the breath", but I wonder if that is
pushing this use a little too far, since it/they are called out of the
TESSARWN.>>

Actually, I would think that there is a distinct play on words here.
EMFUSHSON seems to support 'breath', as does ZHSATWSAN. The singular
PNEUMA/PNEUMATI stands in contrast to and distinct from the TESSARWN
PNEUMATWN. So, it seems advisable to translate the PNEUMA/PNEUMATI in its
sense of 'breath'.

I think the real question involves the translation of TESSARWN PNEUMATWN.
For languages that don't have the notion of "the four winds" as all the
'directions of the compass' or 'the ends of the earth', this should probably
be translated by some such phrase.

While translating these two different referents differently obliterates the
Hb/Gk word play, it will be necessary in many (most?) languages in order to
convey the primary sense of the words in the passage.

God Bless!

Joe A. Friberg
Arlington, Texas
JoeFriberg@alumni.utexas.net