Re: Ezek 37.9

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 12 1999 - 07:25:32 EDT

<x-rich>At 9:48 PM +1300 10/12/99, N & RJ Hanscamp wrote:

<excerpt>In this fascinating verse (Ezek 37.9), the following appears:

I wonder if someone could enlighten me on the meaning of the TADE.

</fontfamily>The verse in full reads

ANQRWPOU PROFHTUESON EPI TO PNEUMA KAI EIPON TWi PNEUMATI TADE LEGIE
KUPIOS EK TWN TESSARWN PNEUMATWN ELQE KAI EMFUSHSON EIS TOUS NEKROUS
TOUTOUS KAI ZHSATWSAN

</fontfamily>Further, I wonder if the list would agree that PNEUMA is
best translated "wind" in this case. The NRSV uses "the breath", but I
wonder if that is pushing this use a little too far, since it/they are
called out of the TESSARWN.

</excerpt>

Joe Friberg has already talked about the second, perhaps more important
question. I want to say something about the very common but very
important idiom in TADE LEGEI KURIOS: (a) this is, of course, the LXX
equivalent of the prophetic formula introducing an oracle (something
like KOH AMARA YHWH, although I can't really trust my memory for the
little Hebrew I know); (b) in terms of traditional Greek, TODE and TADE
generally point forward to what is about to be said, while TOUTO and
TAUTA (especially TAUTA) tend generally to point backward to what has
just been said (I'm aware that TOUTO often points forward, but TAUTA
almost always points backward). Therefore, the idiomatic force of TADE
LEGEI KURIOS is "The Lord says as follows: ..."

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu

</x-rich>