GAR and Paratactic Connectors

From: George Goolde (goolde@mtnempire.net)
Date: Wed Oct 13 1999 - 22:38:16 EDT

<x-flowed>Edgar,

As Carl pointed out, your question is a matter of discourse analysis, which
might appear on its surface to be a subject separate from the interests of
b-greek. But as Carl also pointed out in another post, GAR always has the
force of explaining what preceded. I completely agree with your conclusion
that Phil 1:8 is better taken as part of the previous argument because the
GAR explains what went before.And so our understanding of the Greek text
ought to be the primary informant of our determination of the
structure. That produces good exegesis.

George

George A. Goolde
Professor, Bible and Theology
Southern California Bible College & Seminary
El Cajon, California

goolde@mtnempire.net