Re: 2 Samuel 12:31 [2Kings 12:31 LXX]

From: Numberup@worldnet.att.net
Date: Fri Dec 17 1999 - 13:52:13 EST

It's amazing what one can do with the right tools. While lamenting the lack of a
listing for "plinth-" derivatives in my New Testament lexicons, it just occurred to
me to check the new (so new I had forgotten about it) 95-buck Liddell and Scott
lexicon I received last week. It has "plinth-" deratives galore!

Then, I also decided to check the verse 2 Samuel 12:31 (2 Kings 12:31 LXX) in the
Alfred Rahlfs edition -- the one I keep on the shelf to look pretty, while I
manhandle the Brenton edition -- and saw that Rahlfs has PLINQEIOU instead of
PLINQIOU. L&S gives for PLINQEIOU [PLINQEION], "brickworks...LXX 2 Ki. 12:31."
Thus, not necessarily or specifically a kiln, since bricks were also sun-dried in the
Middle East.

At the same time, Latin lexicons give "brick mold," i.e., an instrument for molding
or shaping bricks, as a possible translation for the Vulgate's "typo laterum" in
this verse. It would appear that the Latin "typo" is cognate to the Greek TUPOS which
means "hollow mold or matrix."

By the way, my apologies for mistyping the "O" and the "I" in my previous post.

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org