Luke 2:1 (off topic)

From: John Barach (jbarach@telusplanet.net)
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 13:04:06 EST

B-Greeks:

I've been exegeting Luke 2:1-5 for reasons you may be able to guess.
One Dutch writer, B. Holwerda, speaks about the worship of the emperor
and says that because Augustus brought peace to the Empire he was
greeted as the "Saviour" who descended from heaven and who would ascend
to heaven again. Could any of you point me to source material which
might back up this claim?

Holwerda does refer to a "kalenderinschrift" from Priene (9 BC) which
refers to Augustus as "God" and speaks of his "gospel" and indicates a
desire to have the calendar start with Augustus's birthday. Where might
I find a copy of that inscription? (Or could someone copy it and send
it to me?)

This question isn't about Greek grammar, I realize, so could you please
send responses off list. Thanks!

John

John Barach (403) 317-1950
Pastor, Trinity Reformed Church (URCNA)