Re: Pronouns in John 1:1 and 1 John 1:1-4

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 23 1999 - 08:15:29 EST

At 12:04 AM -0500 12/23/99, Will Wagers wrote:
>Ken Johnson writes:
>
>>We do want to keep in mind that John's Logos is not very Greek. His idea of
>>the Logos is not a God who is detached, but one who is very involved with us
>>and where we are, otherwise he would not have taken on humanity and dwelt
>>with us.
>
>Logos is a concept from Greek philosophy, not mythology. The Greek Logos
>is not "detached": it is the very stuff of life; in fact, it *is*
>life, the intersection
>of Form and Matter. As such, it enforms not only us but all living (read
>animated) things, including "gods". The only non-Greek thing in the Prologue
>is the notion that Logos takes the form of an individual man, when it
>is already necessarily present in all creation, being, in fact, Creation. This
>is the background of Jn 1:1.

Ken supplied the Hegelian thesis and Will the antithesis; let me supply a
synthesis ;-) that is not likely to please either the former nor the
latter but which is held by many besides myself: that the LOGOS notion in
the Johannine prologue has roots BOTH in Greek pre-Socratic Heraclitean and
Stoic thought AND in Hebraic-Jewish Hokhma-Sophia speculation such as seen
in the OT Wisdom literature and in OT prophetic usage of the term DBR-YHWH.
I for one, don't think it's a matter of either/or but rather of both/and.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu