John 1.5 - try again

From: Pete Phillips (p.m.phillips@cliff.shef.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 03:39:06 EST

Thanks for all the discussion but I didn't actually ask for
your favourite translations or reminders of what BAGD, LSJ,
ASV, RSV and all the others say. What I specifically
requested was an insight into the aspectual side of things
as there seem to be people in this list who know what
they're talking about vis-a-vis aspect while the rest of us
walk around looking glazed. So once again:

What is the aspectual significance of the aorist of
KATELABEN in John 1.5 in association with the present of
FAINEI and followed by a simple aorist in EGENETO in verse
6?

Yours with utmost respect.

Pete Phillips