Re: John 1.5 - try again

From: Joe A. Friberg (JoeFriberg@email.msn.com)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 19:17:08 EST

Re: the EGENETO in v6, I have asserted: "v6 starts a new paragraph with a
new participant introduced, and constitutes a change in genre to narrative.
This is frequently the funciton of EGENETO: to start a new narrative,
introducing new participants, etc."

Seeing EGENETO in this light, I would suggest that it probably is not
extremely relevant to delve deeper into the inner workings of the verb
(lexeme and form) itself. Like etymologies, while the possible inner
nuances of the verb may form a plausible substantiation as to *why* it came
to be used in a particular way, the more important consideration is simply
*how* it is used within the discourse structure of Gk.

Let me offer the following corroborative evidence on the discourse function
of EGENETO. EGENETO is used by Jn at the beginning of 4 additional
narrative paragraphs:
2.1 'And on the third day, there came a wedding in Cana of Galilee'
6.16 'But as evening came, his disciples went down to the lake'
10.19 'Again, there came a schism among the Jews'
10.22 'Then the Feast of Dedication came in Jerusalem'
In each of these, clauses, a new time frame is being established. This is
accomplished by specific time references, or simply by an event (10.19).

This makes 1.6 unique in that it is a new participant that is introduced.
Looking beyond the Johannine material, however, there are abundant examples
of this. Mk 1 provides 3:
1.4 'John came baptizing in the desert...'
1.9 'And in those days it came [about that] Jesus came from Nazareth...'
1.11 'And a voice came from heaven...'
Additional examples abound, but this should suffice for now!

(I have translated the above glosses rather woodenly, using 'came' for
EGENETO throughout; it does work in a good many cases as a valid English
equivalent means of introducing something new to the narrative.)

Note also that the discourse break at Jn 1.6 is marked by asyndeton.

--Just a little more substance to my prior assertion.

God Bless!
Joe A. Friberg