Re: Definite noun with anarthous attribute

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Sat Mar 11 2000 - 21:29:40 EST

About Mark 3:1, I remember that Carl explained it clearly by means of
several examples from the classic.

My memory tells me that Mark 3:1 should be rendered as

there was a man with the hand withered.

Here "with the hand withered" (EXHRAMMENHN EXWN THN XEIRA) is loosely
connected to the part that goes before it, and it is in predicate position
with respect to the man. The whole sentence can read like:
There was a man there, and his hand was withered.

Moon
Moon R. Jung
Sogang University
Seoul, Korea