Re: Rom 1:1 KLHTOS APOSTOLOS

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Sun Apr 09 2000 - 09:32:05 EDT

<x-flowed>To: Charles Skallerud and the participants of the Biblical-Greek list,

<< After many unsuccessful attempts I do not look down on any effort. Still
I have to say that 'guest delegate' sounds like a UNESCO position or
something. I know what you mean and others in this discussion know what you
mean, but I am afraid it doesn't fly. >>

IMO, sounding like a "UNESCO position or something" is a step forward. And
so IMO "delegate" is an improvement over "apostle."

But as for the translation "guest," I'm not as certain. The traditional
interpretation of KLHTOS has been that Paul was called by God to be an
apostle/delegate, whereas translating KLHTOS as "guest" offers different
possibilities, perhaps KLHTOS means that Paul was a "delegate" to and not
from the Gentiles.

The point of using the same term (KLHTOS) in verses 6 & 7 might be that
just as Paul is a "guest" among the Gentiles, so too the believers in Rome
are "guests" of Jesus Christ, his "sacred guests."

Criticisms and/or suggestions are welcome.

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com