Re: Rom 1:1 KLHTOS APOSTOLOS

From: Charles Skallerud (karolus@wf.net)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 22:08:32 EDT

<x-charset iso-8859-1>After many unsuccessful attempts I do not look down on any effort. Still I
have to say that 'guest delegate' sounds like a UNESCO position or
something. I know what you mean and others in this discussion know what you
mean, but I am afraid it doesn't fly. I wish I could offer an alternative.
We are stuck with 'apostle' which, of course, is not a translation at all.
Maybe this original transliteration is a clue that nobody else was about to
do any better. After all it might be just like 'baptism.' What can we
offer as an alternative? Dipping? Your grasp of the original is useful but
I fear your audience is restricted to Greek fanatics.

Charles Skallerud