Re: Translation of Revelation 19:9

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 20:13:27 EDT

In a message dated 4/19/2000 5:35:43 PM Central Standard Time,
kflowers@alum.mit.edu writes:

<< I need to understand a
 nuance of translation that I can't seem to get from Strongs or a Greek
 parallel. King James and others translate Rev. 19:9 as "...he said..."
 NIV and others translate the same as "...the angel said..." I can't see
 any justification in the Greek I've seen for "the angel." >>

Although it is true that Rev. 19.9 reads

KAI LEGEI MOI, GRAYON, MAKARIOI hOI EIS TO DEIPNON TOU GAMOU TOU ARNIOU
KEKLHMENOI. KAI LEGEI MOI hOUTOI hOI LOGOI ALHQINOI TOU QEOU EISIN.

And ** HE ** said, "Write, 'Blessed are those who are called to the marriage
feast of the Lamb.'" And ** HE ** said to me, "These are the true words of
God."

with no mention of whom this "HE" might be in this immediate section, you
must go back to Rev. 18.21. There it states

KAI HREN hEIS AGGELOS ISXUROS LIQON hWS MULINON MEGAN KAI EBALEN EIS THN
QALASSAN LEGWN, "hOUTWS hORMHMATI BLHQHSETAI BABULWN hH MEGALH POLIS KAI OU
MH hEUREQHi ETI.

Then a strong angel lifted a stone like a great millstone and cast it into
the sea saying,
"Thus violently shall be cast down Babylon, the great city
And it shall never be found again."

This is the antecedent to LEGEI in Rev. 19.9. While the verse does not
itself contain the word AGGELOS, it does refer back to it. Apparently the
translators felt the necessity to make this clear due to the intervening
section describing the reaction to the casting of the millstone into the sea
and the pronouncement of judgement against "Babylon."

gfsomsel