Re: Nine Choirs of Angels

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 14:01:17 EDT

I think this thread has moved pretty far away from the question about how
AGGELOS is to be legitimately translated in a particular passage in the
GNT--and pretty far removed from the focus of B-Greek. Apparently my
comment about Byzantine theologians--

>instance in the GNT to be translated as "slave" in English). I suppose this
>is a question more relevant to an audience that is at home in an urbanized
>industrial/technological culture and that is genuinely estranged from an
>agrarian Hellenistic society with its host of conceptions of intermediate
>divine beings such as I suspect only a Byzantine theologian or a scholar in
>the field of Gnostic and or late antique and early modern Jewish mysticism
>may be able to sort out intelligently.

was only meant to suggest that the variety of heavenly beings of different
orders assumed to exist by several religious persuasions in later antiquity
should give us some pause before limiting too strictly the notion of what
AGGELOS in Revelation might mean. I hope we're not headed down toward that
old chestnut about the number of AGGELOI that can dance on a pinhead. I
would think that "even" B-Greekers might think of something more profitable
to think about on Good Friday.

Nevertheless, if there's more speculation on AGGELOS in Rev 19:19, there's
no objection to entertaining it (and each other with it?).

--

Carl W. Conrad Department of Classics/Washington University One Brookings Drive/St. Louis, MO, USA 63130/(314) 935-4018 Home: 7222 Colgate Ave./St. Louis, MO 63130/(314) 726-5649 cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu