Re: Nine Choirs of Angels

From: Cindy Smith (cms@dragon.com)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 14:41:13 EDT

Steve,

  I'm a fan of Pseudo-Dionysius, but I didn't know he listed the
Nine Choirs of Angels. In which work does this list occur? I'd like
to look it up. Thomas does cite Dionysius in the Summa Q.108.I.on the contrary
where he cites Dionysius Coel. Hier. vi "distinguishes three hierarchies
of angels." Summa 108.5.on the contrary, he cites Dionysius Coel. Hier. vii,
"in the names of hte angelic orders it is necessary to observe that the
proper name of each order expresses its property." Oops, that was in
the "I answer that." In the "on the contrary" he lists the Scripture passages
for the nine choirs of angels. Seraphim Isaias vi. 2;
Cherubim Ezechiel i (cf. x. 15, 20); Thrones in Colossians i. 16;
Dominations, Virtues, Powers, and Principalities in Ephesians i. 21;
the name Archangels in St. Jude 9; and angels profusely throughout Scripture.

It's possible that when Thomas says "Dionysius" he may mean what later
came to be known as Pseudo-Dionysius.

Cindy Smith Spawn of a Jewish Carpenter
GO AGAINST THE FLOW! \\ _\\\_ _///_ // A Real Live Catholic in Georgia
cms@dragon.com >IXOYE=('> <`)= _<< "Delay not your conversion
cms@romancatholic.org// /// \\\ \\ to the LORD, Put it not off
cms@5sc.net from day to day" Ecclus/Sira 5:8