RE: Gal 2:20 - to the Son

From: Harold R. Holmyard III (hholmyard@ont.com)
Date: Sat Apr 29 2000 - 13:34:37 EDT

Dear Bill,
     I wrote:

>>So here in Gal 2:20 we would translate "I live in the faithfulness of the
>>Son of God" (subj. gen.), or "I live in faith in the Son of God." Since
>>the preposition EN can have a causal or instrumental force ("by," or
>>"with"), it is also possible to translate: "I live by faith in the Son of
>>God" or "I live by the faithfulness of the Son of God."

     You replied:

>Sometimes Koine words appear to create English idioms when they do not.
>This is an example. In English, we say "I live by faith" and we mean "I
>conduct my life by faith". But that is not a Koine idiom. The
>corresponding Koine idiom is "I walk by faith". The word ZW means
>literally to "be alive" or"come to life" or "have life". The tendency to
>read the word idiomatically ala English leads to incredible
>misunderstanding.

Bill, please check BAG (Bauer, Arndt, & Gingrich) under ZAW at definition
3. ZAW can mean "live" of the conduct of life. BAG mentions that in this
signification ZAW is used with adverbs and other modifiers. It specifically
lists EV PISTEI at Gal 2:20. You are limiting the sense of the word ZAW too
much.

                                Yours,
                                Harold Holmyard