Re: Gal 2:20 - to the Son

From: Steven R. Lo Vullo (sundoulos1@netzero.net)
Date: Sat Apr 29 2000 - 16:09:21 EDT

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Dale,

THi TOU hUIOU TOU QEOU functions as an adjectival phrase modifying PISTEI.
Note that THi and PISTEI are both in the dative case. This is the third
attributive position (cf. Luke 15:22; John 1:18; and the discussion by
Wallace, p. 307), except that instead of an adjective there is an articular
genitive noun. As Wallace notes, this pattern occurs only a few times with
adjectives. A translation that might help illuminate the structure would be,
"I live by faith--the faith that is directed to the Son of God." (This, of
course, assumes that TOU hUIOU is an objective genitive. Even if it is not,
we are still dealing with the third attributive position.) The point is that
THi TOU hUIOU TOU QEOU clarifies the object of Paul's faith. Hope this
helps.

Steve LoVullo