Re: Gal 2:20 - to the Son

From: Steven R. LoVullo (sundoulos1@netzero.net)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 02:07:42 EDT

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Bill,

I think you are right about Romans 1: 17 in light of Paul's teaching on
justification by faith in Romans, where the emphasis is on imputation of
righteousness. However, the author of Hebrews appears to be using Habakkuk
2: 4 in the sense of "conduct," i.e., "the one who is righteous will live
(his life) by faith in me." The surrounding context, as well as the whole of
the epistle with its emphasis on enduring to the end without turning back,
confirms this understanding. For example, it is an "evil, unbelieving
(APISTIAS) heart that falls away from the living God" (3:12). It is "those
who through faith (PISTEWS) and patience inherit the promises" (6:12). The
author and his readers "are not of those who shrink back to destruction, but
of those who have faith (PISTEWS) to the preserving of the soul" (10:39; cf.
1 Peter 1:5). Indeed, the heroes of OT times "died in faith (PISTIN),
without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed
them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and
exiles on the earth" (11:13). And there is no contradiction if we realize
that faith is dynamic, so that the initial faith that results in
justification to life perseveres in ongoing trust in God throughout the
Christian life.

Steve LoVullo