Re: Rom 12 19

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 12:56:04 EDT

In a message dated 5/6/2000 7:07:55 AM Central Standard Time,
navillusbpi@primus.com.au writes:

<<
 Rom 12 19 Paul advisors believers not to avenege themselves, but 'alla dote
 topon th orgh.'

 I read that as 'to give (or yield) place to the wrath.'

 However, it is often translated 'leave it to the wrath of God'(RSV), 'give
 place unto the wrath of God' (ASV) 'leave a place for divine retiribution.'
 Paul next quotes Deut 32:35 "Vengence is mine, I will repay, says the
 lord." (Rom 12 19).

 tou qeou is not in the sentence. What does everyone think of the rendering
 'of God.' Is it an acceptable reconstruction, given the context, or is my
 suggestion acceptable?

I am disinclined to supply words clearly not in the text nor part of a known
idiom or citation. I would suggest that DOS TOPON might be understood in the
sense of "to yield" or "to not resist." I would think that DIDWMI + TOPOS
would be the contrary of LAMBANW + TOPOS. If this is so then Acts 1.24, 25
might provide some insight.

KAI PROSEUCAMENOI EIPAN: SU KURIE KARDIOGNWSTA PANTWN, ANADEICON hON ECELECW
EK TOUTWN TWN DUO hENA

LABEIN TON TOPON THS DIAKONIAS TAUTHS KAI APOSTOLHS AF' hS IOUDAS PREQHNAI
EIS TON TOPON TON IDION.

When they prayed they said, "You Lord who know the hearts of all, indicate
whom you have chosen of these two

to receive the office of this service and apostleship from which Judas
apostasized to his own place.

The idea would be "don't resist evil."

gfsomsel