Re: PAROUSIA and EPISUNAGWGH

From: CEP7@aol.com
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 10:58:54 EDT

In a message dated 5/10/00 10:35:32 PM, parousia_occ@yahoo.com writes:

<< 2 Thess. 2:1
    ERWTWMEN DE hUMAS, ADELFOI, hUPER THS PAROUSIAS
    TOU KURIOU hHMWN IHSOU CRISTOU KAI hHMWN
    EPISUNAGWGHS EP' AUTON

Mike,

I should have to wonder about this verse (or about
your separation of it). One thing that seems to hold
for me is Sharp's rule. (I know that I like,
sometimes, to overuse that rule, but HEY, it's a good
one!) If it applies to this construction (hUPER THS
PAROUSIAS... KAI... EPISUNAGWGHS), then the
construction would show that the two refer to the same
event. When Christ appears, we will be gathered to
Him. Does this not also reflect what He said in
Matthew 24.31? (at the PAROUSIA "the angels... will
gather together his elect")

Just a suggestion. We used Sharp's rule to prove
theological issues from the text, why would it not
hold for something like this?

Jason >>

I think its important to point out that this is an impersonal construction;
Sharp's rule applied only to personal constructions. In the case of
impersonal constructions there are several semantic possibilities.

1. The two events are identical.
2. The two events are different.
3. They are two overlapping events.
4. The first event is a subset of the second.
5. The second event is a subset of the first.

The first possibility is the least likely, statistically speaking, since very
few impersonal constructions refer to the same event. The most likely
possibility, IMHO, is (5) because elsewhere EPISUNAGWGH is associated with
PAROUSIA.

Charles

Charles Powell
DTS