Re: GALATIANS, DIA

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Jun 17 2000 - 14:17:24 EDT

on 06/17/00 7:12 AM, abilene wrote:

> In the English New-T estament , DIA is translated by "after", only two times,
> in Gal 2,1 and in Mc 2,1: DI HMERWN = few days later.
> Which example whith DIA meaning obviously "after"?

I would add to this:

 Acts 24:17 DI' ETWN DE PLEIONWN
Acts 27:5 DI' hHMERWON DEKAPENTE (v.l. 614, 2147 pc. (h) sy(h))

And also look at the Vulgate's rendering of
Matt. 26:61 DIA TRIWN hHMERWN ==> POST TRIDUUM

Perhaps POST in the Latin Vulgate is flexible enough to not cause a problem
here but my quick look at Gildersleve & Lodge (a classical grammar not
Vulgate) seemed to indicate otherwise. The parallels to Matt. 26:61 in John
2:19 etc. seem to point in the other direction from the Vulgate, so there is
probably little question what is actually intended by DIA TRIWN hHMERWN in
Matt. 26:61. However, the Vulgate rendering does raise a question about how
this would have been understood by an early reader/translator.

I don't know Latin well enough to make a call on this one and I have no
Grammar for Vulgate Latin anyway so I will leave this question for someone
else.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew