[b-greek] Re: MENETE EN AUTWi KAI PAROUSIAi AUTOU in 1 John 2:28

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 14:59:17 EDT

<x-flowed>At 19:13 06/07/00, Ilvgrammta@aol.com wrote:
>In 1 John 2:25, John appears to use AUTOS to refer to the Father, who
>promised everlasting life to His people

You will find a summing up of scholarly opinions on this in:
Brown, Raymond E. The Epistles of John. Anchor Bible vol. 30. New York:
Doubleday, 1982.
And Brown opts for what he sees as the majority opinion that AUTOS is
Christ, advancing also the argument that AUTOS here, with its emphatic
force ( 'he himself' ) and that the dispute in the previous verses has
centred on denying that Jesus is the Christ and so "it is Jesus, not the
Father, that the author needs to underline".

Again, in v.27, Brown sums up the scholarly opinion, adding a reference
to a long NOTE to 2:20a on "anointing" in which he envisaged " an
anointing ( perhaps phsyical ) with the Holy Spirit, the gift from Christ
that makes one a Christian ". He notes that "B.Weiss would argue that the
"he" of 27a and 27b is God, and that Westcott sees it as "God-in-Christ "
but adds that these "views have little following".

He deals, inter alia, with the big question about this verse --- a
one-sentence or a two-sentence verse --- and is equally, if not more,
comprhensive about v.28.

Far too much to summarise here, I'm afraid <g>

Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie