[b-greek] to be hAMARTIAN

From: Harold R. Holmyard III (hholmyard@ont.com)
Date: Sun Jul 30 2000 - 22:13:26 EDT

Dear Mark,

You asked:

>2 Cor. 5:21

>TON MH GNONTA hAMARTIAN hUPER hHMWN hAMARTIAN EPOIHSEN hINA hHMEIS

>GENWMEQA DIKAIOSUNH QEOU EN AUTWi

>"God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might
>become the righteousness of God" (NIV).

>How do they [NIV] get "had" (no sin) from GNONTA?

It is probably for English comprehension. If the translation was more
literal, it might be confusing:

"God made the one not knowing sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might
become the righteousness of God"

This could mean that he did not know about sin, or had never seen it. The
Hebrew idea of experiencing would not necessarily come across. Even if the
translation was "experiencing," people might think that he had no run-in
with sin from other people. The idea is that he did not experience sin
because he never committed it. Since he did not commit sin, he had no sin.

                                Yours,
                                Harold Holmyard