[b-greek] Re: Nominative in Appositon

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 15:54:21 EDT

on 7/4/01 12:19 PM, c stirling bartholomew wrote:

> Sounds good. Subordinating the "predicate nominative" to a high order
> category of "predication" makes sense but it must be incorporated into the
> whole syntax model and that is the rub. I need to have a simple, clear,
> understandable syntax model that will work for explaining the syntax and
> semantics of the case system. And your suggestion doesn't fit into any of
> the "off the shelf" analytical models that are at hand. The "off the shelf"
> models make the "predicate nominative" and "nominative of apposition"
> elements of the same set.

I take this back. I *do* see how your suggestion could fit into this model.
Predication takes a number of forms, of which "predicate nominative" and
"nominative of apposition" are two examples. No problem at all fitting this
into the traditional model.

The following quibble isn't really a problem with your suggestion.

>They cannot be elements of the same set if the
> predicate nominative is in apposition (a statement from a scholar who
> responded off list) and if all appositional constituents predicate.

Thanks again for the help, Randy. Much appreciated.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point