[b-greek] Re: What To Do With PNEUMATIKOS

From: Frank Gee (frankrgee@outpost.net.au)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 05:01:06 EDT

On Wednesday, October 03, 2001 12:31 PM, my esteemed mentor Dr Ward Powers
posted two questions about PNEUMATIKOS.
As my first excursion onto the List, after a fair period of "lurking", here
are a couple of small contributions relating to the second question, which
read:

>Are any b-greekers able to point me to any other translations which do NOT
>render PNEUMATIKOS in either 12:1 or 14:1 as "spiritual gifts"?

In his somewhat idiosyncratic translation of the Bible (1903/1938), Ferrar
Fenton has this for I Cor. 14:1:
        "Follow after friendship; but earnestly desire mental powers, and
especially those enabling you to instruct.
        For the speaker in a foreign language does not speak to men, but to
God."
Perhaps this (somewhat minimally) fits the category of what is sought,
albeit via an almost bizarre "secularising" of TA PNEUMATIKA.

Dr Powers and other hELLHNISTAI may be intrigued, incidentally, by Ferrar
Fenton's rendering of verses 4 and 5: "The linguist instructs himself; but
the preacher instructs the assembly. And I wish you were all linguists; but
I would rather that you might all be preachers; for the preacher is greater
than the linguist."

So perhaps I should stick with being a preacher, after all!? :-)

The Indonesian Bible Society's KABAR BAIK UNTUK MASA KINI (their
equivalent of the TEV) renders TA PNEUMATIKA in I Cor 14:1 as
KEMAMPUAN-KEMAMPUAN YANG DIBERIKAN OLEH ROH ALLAH, which is almost the
direct equivalent of the New Living Translation's "the special abilities the
Holy Spirit gives".

Now all of the above certainly are different from the phrase "spiritual
gifts", though it seems to me that they are all essentially paraphrases of
the same idea. So I move to two items which I hope more directly fit what
Dr Powers is looking for. They both suggest a wider semantic field than the
English phrase under scrutiny:

1. The first phrase of 1 Cor 12:1 is rendered "Now about THE
SPIRITUAL MATTERS",
by Rev Alfred Marshall in his interlinear translation included in Bagster's
THE RSV INTERLINEAR NEW TESTAMENT (1958)

2. Eugene Peterson in THE MESSAGE (Navpress 1993, 1995) renders the