[b-greek] Re: 1 Corinthians 7:15

From: Clwinbery@aol.com
Date: Sun Jan 06 2002 - 21:26:06 EST

In a message dated 1/6/02 6:15:32 PM, Polycarp66@aol.com writes:

>In a message dated 1/6/2002 6:13:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>fconley@airmail.net writes:
>

>> However, I understand CHWRIZESQW to be a third person singular present
>> passive imperative. Three questions for the grammarians: (1) Isn't it
>> misleading for translations to imply that this is a second person when
>it
>> is
>> not? (2) Would it not be more in harmony with the grammar to render
>> something like: "Divorce it must be"; or, "it is permitted." See: "They
>may
>> separate"(JB); "it is permitted"(LB); or, as I think Moulton in his
>> Prolegomena implies, p. 172, "If the partner insists on divorce, divorce
>it
>> must be." (3) Is this possibly a case of the divine passive?
>>

>I think the problem here is trying to understand the grammar from the
>perspective of the English language (perhaps others as well). In English
>we
>associate the imperative with a command, "Do this." We don't understand
>"Let
>this be done" as an imperative. Moreover, as you indicated "you" is
>understood as the subject of such a construction. I would say, however
>that
>such constructions as "divorce it must be" are awkward and unEnglish at
>best.
> In Latin I believe the statement, "let him . . . " would be considered
>jussive (my Latin is extremely rusty, perhaps someone more knowledgeable
>can
>speak to this). I think this is about the best we can do in English.

1 Cor 7:15a IE DE hO APISTOS CWRIZETAI, CWRIZESQW.

I think that when you look at the whole sentence, the understanding of the
imperative as permissive is as close to what the writer intended as we can
get in English. I certainly do not think that Paul had in mind to command the
unbeliever to depart (divorce). Hence, "But if the unbeliever separates, then
let him go." We should not think that everytime the 3rd person imperative is
used that it has to be permission. I think it often adds a strong sense of
oughtness, what the person should do. But, the context here, I think, indica
tes permission.

Carlton Winbery
Louisiana College