[b-greek] Re: 2 Thess. 2:3

From: David Thiele (thielogian@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 21:19:44 EST

 --- Paul Dixon <dixonps@juno.com> wrote: >
> The KJ translators differ vastly from modern
> translators on ENESTHKEN
> ("is at hand" versus "has come"). They apparently
> saw the absurdity of
> rendering it "has come," since that would imply the
> Lord had already
> returned and the saints gathered together unto Him.
> Not even the
> Thessalonians were that dumb.

Paul,

This discussion seems to have died a natural death.
However, I am somewhat behind in reading my e-mail at
the moment. It really must be pointed out that church
history is littered with examples of people and
movements who believed precisely that which you are so
confident that Thessalonians could not have
believed--that the day of the Lord had already
occured. Such views are even held by people in the
twenty-first century.

In short, the meaning of the text cannot be determined
by what the Thessalonians could not have believed.

Regards

David Thiele
Pacific Adventist University
Papua New Guinea