[b-greek] Re: Ephesians 4:26 [ORGIZESQE]

From: Francesco Venale (fvenale@academicstudies.fsnet.co.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 00:45:22 EST

As a new member of B-Greek I try to answer to Elijah Yoder on the above
subject.

ORGIZESQE is perhaps concessive imperative: "be angry (if you must) but do
not sin."
"Be angry" should be understood as the literal translation suggest us: "Be
you being made wrathful."

The Apostle Paul refers to Psalms 4:4 where the LXX has the same words. In
the New Testament ORGIZO is always in the middle or passive voice. - See Mt
18:34; 22:7; Rev. 11:18; 12:17.

The immediate context seems to suggest us that while a person may on
occasion be angry and sometimes justifiably so, he should not let it become
sin to him by harboring it or maintaining a provoked state. He should not
let the sun set with him in such a condition, for he would thereby allow
place for the Devil to take advantage of him. On the other hand,
disagreements should be handled immediately.

But also the general bible context seems to agree with this.
Compare Gen 30:2; 31:36; Ex 16:20; 1 Sam 18:10; 20:34; 25:31; 2 Sam 13:22;
Ps 4:4; 37:8; Eccl 7:9; Mt 5:22; Col 3:8; Jas 1:19...

Francesco Venale
London