[b-greek] Re: The Meaning of LOGIZOMAI

From: Steven Lo Vullo (slovullo@mac.com)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 07:56:12 EDT

on 4/18/02 6:28 AM, Carl W. Conrad at cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu wrote:

> At 12:09 PM +0100 4/18/02, David Thiele wrote:
>> I recently received a posting on an another forum
>> which is dedicated to more theological discussion.
>> The issue at hand was the nature of justification. I
>> am raising this here, not to import theology to this
>> forum, but to get clarification of an argument based
>> on the meaning of the Greek word LOGIZOMAI.
>>
>> The post I received contained an extract from the Blue
>> Letter Bible (whatever that may be) which concluded
>> with the following statement: "This word deals with
>> reality. If I 'LOGIZOMAI' or reckon that my bank book
>> has $25 in it, it has $25 in it. Otherwise I am
>> deceiving myself. This word refers to facts not
>> suppositions."
>>
>> Does this statement accurately reflect the meaning of
>> LOGIZOMAI. It certainly does not seem to agree with
>> the what I have always understood about the word.
>
> The argument is, I think, specious. Look up LOGIZOMAI in LSJ, in BDAG, in
> L&N and you will find a range of senses and texts illustrating the diverse
> senses, including Paul's 1 Cor 13:10 where he even analogizes human
> understanding and reasoning before the ESCATON as hWS NHPIOS LOGIZESQAI.
> Moreover, I'm not much at arithmetic and over the years I have found more
> than once that my LOGISMOS that I had $25 or whatever in the bank has
> turned out to be sadly mistaken.

I, too, was going to mention BDAG and L-N, but I felt a little embarrassed
pitting them against such an august authority as the Blue Letter Bible. At
any rate, I think a quick perusal of the usage in the GNT should disabuse
the mind of the notion that LOGIZOMAI always denotes a perception of
reality. Take, for example, Rom 2.26:

EAN OUN hH AKROBUSTIA TA DIKAIWMATA TOU NOMOU FULASSHi, OUC hH AKROBUSTIA
AUTOU EIS PERITOMHN LOGISQHSETAI?

"So if the uncircumcised man keeps the requirements of the Law, will not his
uncircumcision be regarded as circumcision?"

Would the editors of the Blue Letter Bible really want to argue that God
deceives himself into thinking the representative uncircumcised man in view
here is circumcised IN REALITY?

Steven Lo Vullo
Madison, WI
slovullo@mac.com