[b-greek] Re: Romans 1:16

From: Glen L Naftaniel (glensmail@juno.com)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 10:56:57 EST

Dear Mark and all,

Thank you for your response to my questions regarding Romans 1:16 (and
for correcting my English). I have learned more about English by
studying Greek than I did studying English in school. If I may ask two
more questions regarding Romans 1:16 I would appreciate it.

Rom 1:16: "OU GAR EPAISCHUNOMAI TO EUANGELION DUNAMIS GAR THEOU
ESTIN EIS SOTERIAN PANTI TO PISTEUONTAI IUDAIO TE PROTON KAI
hELLENI."

1. I asked-- "What is the antecedent of ESTIN?"

Mark said-- "The gospel." "I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it (the
gospel) is the power (predicate nominative, agreeing with "it.")"

Q's-- 1) How do we know that the power (DUNAMIS) is the predicate
nominative and 2) that ESTIN refers back to EUAGGELION?

Thank you in advance.

God bless,
Glen Naftaniel