[b-greek] philadelphia revisited

From: Keith Saare (Talmid512@cs.com)
Date: Sat Apr 13 2002 - 15:39:49 EDT

Several weeks back I asked the question of why Philadelphia means
"brotherly love" inspite of the fact that the term is in the feminine
gender. The consensus response I received was that abstract ideas have no
regard for the use of gender in determining meanings.

Honestly though, if I were a Greek back when Koine was spoken I would not
be thinking of "philadelphia" to mean "brotherly love" when the term is in
the feminine gender. Would it be more proper then to understand that this
term does not have an exact English equivelant translation since the idea
of "sisterly love" is foreign to the English language?

If so then I can understand why the term is rendered "brotherly love". Any
thoughts?