Re: Matt 5:28 blepwn

Wes Williams (71414.3647@compuserve.com)
04 Sep 96 20:54:41 EDT

From: "Dale M. Wheeler" <dalemw@teleport.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 1996 09:28:19 -0700
Subject: Re: Matt 5:28 blepwn

Tom Launder wrote:

>>In Matt 5:28 Jesus speaks about an individual who looks at a woman to lust.
>>
>>"PAS O BLEPWN GUNAIKA PROS TO EPIQUMeSAI AUTHeN eDe EMOIXEUSEN AUTeN EN Te
>>KARDIA AUTOU."
>>
>>Is there the idea here of repeated action, thus the looking is tending
>>toward a habitual sinful pattern?

> Wallace
>deals with this specific passage in his new Syntax (pp. 615f.), and as he
>points out there, if this instance is to be understood in some sort of
>continual/repeated sense, then you'd probably have to do the same thing
>with statement in v.32 PAS O APOLUWN, but it seems unlikely that this
>guy KEEPS ON divorcing his wife...

I think v. 32 is a parallel. However, so is verse 22 "However [continues]
wrathful..."

Matthew 5:22 egw de legw u`min o`ti pas o` orgizomenos tw adelfw ...

I find it dubious that a one-time wrath, perhaps like Paul and Barnabas had in
Acts 15 would constitute an equivalency to an act of murder. So I would argue
for the durative/ habitual force in verse 22.

As for verse 27 in the middle, perhaps context and good judgement should be
considered. I think it could go either way. Passion tends to build with a
continued looking and I would not argue forcefully against a translator that
would show the "continue..." in the translation.

Sincerely,
Wes Williams