Re: predicate adjectives

Wed, 5 Feb 1997 09:04:18 -0600

At 7:54 AM -0600 2/5/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>Andrew Kulikovsky wrote:
>
>> But if Paul meant to say "All scripture (that is) divinely-inspired
>> (is) also useful for instruction etc." implying that not every
>> scripture is inspired then why didn't he tell Timothy which
>> ones are inspired and which aren't?
>
>I believe that GRAFH can refer to any kind of writing, not just scripture,
>can't it? I have been reading GRAFH QEOPNEUSTOS as "inspired writing", i.e.
>scripture. I see this as parallel to TA IERA GRAMMATA in verse 15, so I see
>this as meaning "All divinely-inspired writing [referring to the OT
>scriptures - IERA GRAMMATA] is also useful for instruction etc."

A quick check on GRAFH within the NT discovered 49 instances of the word in
either singular or plural, all of them clearly referring to scriptures.
There is no doubt that it has other meanings outside the NT, but NT usage
seems to be pretty consistent. I guess OT ought to be checked also.

(314) 935-4018