Re: Anarthrous Subject with Articular Predicate

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Wed, 03 Sep 1997 15:21:08 -0400

Wes Williams wrote:
> This will be hotly contested, but how about Phil 2:13?
>
>For God is the One acting within YOU for the sake of his good
>pleasure....
>
>QEOS GAR ESTIN hO ENERGWN ...

So what exactly do we mean by "the subject"? I'm afraid I need a formalism
here, because my intuition is failing me...if I write it like this, QEOS
feels like the subject:

QEOS GAR ESTIN hO ENERGWN EN hUMIN KAI TO QELEIN KAI O ENERGEIN hUPER THS
EUDOKIAS

But if I just change the word order a little, hO ENERGWN feels like the subject:

hO ENERGWN GAR EN hUMIN KAI TO QELEIN KAI O ENERGEIN hUPER THS EUDOKIAS QEOS
ESTIN

Now I'm pretty sure that there is a formal definition for subject that might
give us some clarity here...and that one of the many linguist types out
there can bail us out of this!

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com