Re: Jack's website

Perry L. Stepp (plstepp@flash.net)
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 08:33:03 -0500

Hello, all.

> From: Andrew Kulikovsky <anku@celsiustech.se>
> Subject: Re: Jack's website

> On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Jack Kilmon wrote:

> > Simply because the vox ipsissima Iesu was Aramaic and not Greek.

> so what?

> > > The (incredibly well documented) canon of scripture we have is the
> > > inspired
> > > word of God not some theoretical reconstruction...
> >
> > Are you saying that the Greek-speaking Matthean author was
> > "inspired"moreso than the Aramaic speaking Jesus?

We have no certain text of the sayings of the Aramaic speaking Jesus.
There's still debate over how much Greek and Hebrew he spoke, etc. There's
still research to be done on the phenomenon of a multi-lingual culture, how
people might think in one language while speaking another (I once read
something that Kurt Aland wrote in English, but "clearly he in German was
thinking" <G>.) Neither the evidence nor the consensus supports the
sweeping tone of Jack's claims.

As illuminating as Aramaic or Hebrew reconstructions can be (and I've read
Blizzard, Howard, Black, et. al.), the text we have before us is in Greek.
Let's deal with *that*. Everything else is conjecture and commentary
(sometimes very illuminating commentary, but commentary nonetheless).

PLStepp

(Permission granted to quote any or all and to name the writer.)

DeSoto Christian Church, DeSoto TX
Ph.D. candidate in New Testament, Baylor University
Keeper of the Top-10 List, alt.fan.letterman
#1 Cowboy Homer

Now the night is breaking and the storm is past,
And everything that could be shaken was shaken
And all that remains is all I ever really had.

What I'd have settled for You've blown so far away;
What You've brought me to I thought I could not reach.

--Rich Mullins, 1955-1997