Re: EIPE LOGWi Matt & Luke (spanish)

Mike & Ellen Adams (adtech@sprynet.com)
Thu, 27 Nov 1997 11:29:18 -0700

> At 8:10 AM -0600 11/27/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
> >Let me suggest an alternative: perhaps the first person who is competent
> >translate a foreign-language post relatively quickly could do so, making
it
> >easier for those who do not speak a particular language.
>
> Perfectly reasonable.
>
> >For that matter, when people who are not native speakers of Latin,
Hebrew,
> >or Aramaic post quotes in those languages, it would be useful if they
also
> >posted a translation for those like me who do not read these languages.
>
> This is less reasonable, if taken literally. I can read Latin fairly
well,
> but I would hardly claim to be a "native speaker" and I doubt that many
on
> the list would claim to be "native speakers" of Hebrew or Aramaic, even
if
> perchance they can read the languages.

The whole existence of this list is due to the fact that translating
concepts from Koine Greek to modern language is a difficult (if not
impossible) task. We do our best to understand the mind of the speaker and
the idiomatic expressions in use at that time ... the current discussion
being a prime example.

I am sure that those who post in Spanish do so because it is the best way
to express exactly what they mean. Attemping to post in English may result
in awkward expressions that merely approximate what they are thinking, just
as the centurian in question may well have coined EIPE LOGWi, in an attempt
to best convey in non-native Greek what he had in mind.

As for the post in question, Daniel obviously has a strong enough grasp of
English to understand clearly the issue at hand. His response in Spanish
was quite eloquent and concise. Responding English might have required more
time than he had to spare, and may not have come across as well. I imagine
there are enough members on this list who can read Spanish, to render the
post worth-while untranslated.If Daniel, or anyone else, cares to translate
these posts, that would allow more people to benefit from his insight. That
would be great!

I, for one, would NOT volunteer for the task. As a translator, I would be
particularly treacherous.

Ellen