ANATOLH

From: Neil D Booth (neilbooth@bbb.ndirect.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 07 1998 - 11:02:43 EST

In Luke 1.78, Zechariah speaks of ANATOLH EX hUYOUS. Every translation I can
lay my hands on takes this to mean the rising of the sun from (somewhat
incongruously!) the height, but I note that in the LXX of Jeremiah 23.5 and
Zechariah 3.8; 6.12, ANATOLH is used to translate tsemach (sorry if that's
bad transliteration -- I don't know the ASCII scheme for Hebrew!), the
Hebrew word for the Messianic "Branch".

Has anyone a view on whether "Branch from on high" is a permissible (or even
preferable) translation of Luke 1.78?

Neil

><))))> http://www.bbb.ndirect.co.uk <((((><
Neil Booth