Re: ANATOLH

From: John M. Moe (John.M.Moe-1@tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 07 1998 - 13:26:24 EST

Neil,

While we're waiting for the word from the Anchor Commentary, Several
commentaries in my possession make mention of your observation. For example,
Just (Concordia Commentary, Luke, Volume 1, Saint Louis, 1996, p.95) says,

"ANATOLH - This refers to the Messiah. ANATOLH ("rising') translates tsemach
(I'll go with your transliteration) ("Branch") in the LXX of Jer 23:5; Zech
3:8, and it alludes to the Star of Jacob (Numb 24:17; cf. 1QM11:6; 4QTestimonia
12)."

John M. Moe