Re: ANATOLH

From: Neil D Booth (neilbooth@bbb.ndirect.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 07 1998 - 14:52:22 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: Edward Hobbs <EHOBBS@WELLESLEY.EDU>
To: neilbooth@bbb.ndirect.co.uk <neilbooth@bbb.ndirect.co.uk>
Date: 07 January 1998 19:12
Subject: Re: ANATOLH

>Neil Booth asks:
>---->>>>>>>>>>>
>In Luke 1.78, Zechariah speaks of ANATOLH EX hUYOUS. Every translation I
can
>lay my hands on takes this to mean the rising of the sun from (somewhat
>incongruously!) the height, but I note that in the LXX of Jeremiah 23.5 and
>Zechariah 3.8; 6.12, ANATOLH is used to translate tsemach (sorry if that's
>bad transliteration -- I don't know the ASCII scheme for Hebrew!), the
>Hebrew word for the Messianic "Branch".
>
>Has anyone a view on whether "Branch from on high" is a permissible (or
even
>preferable) translation of Luke 1.78?
>
>Neil
>
>><))))> http://www.bbb.ndirect.co.uk <((((><
>Neil Booth
>Bradford, West Yorkshire, England
><<<<<<<<<------------------------
>
> Since this is a famous "crux interpretum," may I suggest that
>before responses are given individually to Neil's inquiry, we read with
>care Joe Fitzmyer's admirable summary of the options and difficulties,
>in his Anchor Bible Commentary on Luke, Vol. 1 (Series Vol. 28), pp. 387f.
> If Neil does not have access to this volume (and tells us that),
>perhaps someone who can type faster than I can (two fingers, alas!) would
>be willing to copy this passage.
> It isn't an easy matter to settle.
>

>Edward Hobbs

Edward

Thank you for your response. I'm afraid I don't have access to the Anchor
Commentary you mention -- the only theological library I have access to is
my own! I'm sorry if my question treads a well-worn path and should not have
been raised in b-greek. I'm new to the group and undoubtedly bring more
ignorance than knowledge to it.

Regards

Neil