Syntax Mark 8:4

From: Jay Adkins (JAdkins264@aol.com)
Date: Mon May 03 1999 - 07:02:37 EDT

Dear B-Greekers,

Please help this little Greek understand the syntax of Mark 8:4,
particularly the terms hOTI, TOUTOUS, & ARTWN.
It reads, "KAI APEKRIQHSAN AUTW Hoi MAQHTAI AUTOU hOTI POQEN TOUTOUS
DUNHSETAI TIS WDE COPTASAI APTWN EP ERHMIAS;

I think the basic intent of the passage is clear, but I am having trouble
on just how best to translate the passage for myself as a result, (I
believe) of a poor understanding of the syntax.

After consideration, His disciples said to Him, "How will anyone be able to
feed with bread this crowd, here on this desert,?"
or "Then His disciples answered Him saying that, " Where will anyone be
able to find bread to feed these people, here on this desert?"

Here is how others have handled the verse:

Mark 8:4 (NASU) And His disciples answered Him, "Where will anyone be able
[to find enough] bread here in [this] desolate place to satisfy these
people?"

Mark 8:4 (NIV) His disciples answered, "But where in this remote place can
anyone get enough bread to feed them?"

Mark 8:4 (NKJV) Then His disciples answered Him, "How can one satisfy these
people with bread here in the wilderness?"

Mark 8:4 (WEY) "Where can we possibly get bread here in this remote place
to satisfy such a crowd?" answered His disciples.

Mark 8:4 (YLT) And his disciples answered him, `Whence shall any one be
able these here to feed with bread in a wilderness?'

Thanks for the help in advance.

Jay Adkins