Re: Mk 8:35-37, YUCH

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Sat Dec 18 1999 - 18:59:32 EST

<x-flowed>To: Paul Dixon,

<< I find it interesting that all the translations of YUCH (not pronounced,
yuck, to be sure) in Mk 8:35, 36 and 37 render it as: life, life, soul, and
soul respectively. Surely one would think that in the same immediate
context the nuance of YUCH would be the same, but rendering it as life in
v. 35, then as soul in verses 36 and 37 seems to suggest otherwise. >>

Mainstream scholars would not necessarily assume that these sayings were
originally made at one time. It is possible that Mark (or one of his
sources) collected these saying together merely because they shared the
same term YUCH (sort of based on word association).

On the other hand, the RV, RSV & NRSV translates every YUCH at Mark 8:35-37
as "life." The KJV & NKJV have "life" at verse 35 and "soul" as verses 36-37.

There are also synoptic parallels at Mt 16:25-26 & Lk 9:24-25 (Luke appears
to have omitted a parallel to Mk 8:37). See also Mt 10:39; Lk 17:33; and Jn
12:25. In none of these passages does the NRSV use the term "soul."

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com
Disclaimer: "I'm just a simple house-husband (with no post-grad degree),
what do I know?"