Re: Mk 8:35-37, YUCH

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Dec 18 1999 - 14:23:09 EST

----------
>From: dixonps@juno.com
>To: Biblical Greek <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: Mk 8:35-37, YUCH
>Date: Sat, Dec 18, 1999, 12:04 PM
>

> Surely one would think that in the same immediate context the nuance of YUCH
> would be the same

Paul,

Yes you might think that but I have come across numerous cases where the
a word is used more than once in close proximity with a different
semantic value. I cannot provide any examples off the top of my head,
but I think that there are cases where this appears to be a rhetorical
device, a play on words.

So it is probably unsafe and unwise to assume that multiple occurrences
of a word must have the same semantic value just because they appear in
close proximity.

There is a related or we might say contrasting issue in the LXX,
particularly in poetry where two *different* words are used in a
parallel structure which appear to have the same or very similar
semantic values. Evaluating these (I am currently working in the Psalms)
becomes very tricky, because the semantic overlap of the two words may
be high but clearly the words are never semantically identical. So one
needs to weigh all kinds of difficult questions like the semantic
pattern in the Hebrew vorlage, the quality of the translation, the
habits of the translator, as well as the obvious normal questions about
lexical semantics. This is a difficult business.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point